Re-purposed chicken coop door meets compost bin! A match made in heaven!
Completed the bin’s gate yesterday. It’s definitely “Molly-rigged”. I altered an old chicken coop door, and the lattice was pulled off the side of the farm house.
Some stuff n’ things I learned as a baby-builder:
- The smaller the piece of wood (especially old wood), the more likely it will SPLIT. Use appropriately sized hardware!
- Do not use dollar-store tools! They will break within a day. (I wore all the screwdriver heads down to a stump. hehe) I know folks have been telling me this for years, but it does pay to invest in certain good-quality tools, like screwdrivers!
- Old nails WILL bend and WILL piss you off. (Sorry about yelling all those expletives, mom >.<)
- You will get tired of sawing wood by hand VERY fast. (Time to buy a miter saw)
- Jerry-rigging is fun and challenging! I can’t wait to do more… going to build a staircase for the spring house next!
Well I hope this post was humorous and maybe even a teensy-bit informative for all you budding builders out there! Until next time!